We have created this dedicated environmental sustainability information hub to provide information and access to useful resources for opticians and optometrists. This includes an introduction to the issue of environmental sustainability and how it relates to eye care.
Taking action to become more environmentally sustainable isn’t just an option, it is essential. It matters not only to opticians and optometrists but also to a growing number of the customers/patients of eye care providers.
- ECOO introductory guide to sustainability in optometry and optics
- Sustainable practice: the role of eyecare professionals
- Responsible recycling of waste by optical and optometric professionals and their patients/customers
Resources published by ECOO members:
- UK – the Association of British Dispensing Opticians (ABDO) have created a SEE hub which provides a range of tools and resources for eye care professionals and optical practices.
Other resources for eye care professionals
- International Agency for the Prevention of Blindness (IAPB) Call to Action and Guide for Environmentally Sensitive Practices in the Eye Health Sector
- Euromcontact See Green campaign (contact lenses)
- UK Optical Suppliers’ Association Glossary of Terms
The Political context
- The World Health Organization has stated that climate change affects the social and environmental determinants of health.
- In 2021 the Lancet Commission on Global Eye Health added planetary health as a key component to improving quality of eye care.
- All 27 EU Member States have committed to turning the EU into the first climate neutral continent by 2050. To get there, they pledged to reduce emissions by at least 55% by 2030, compared to 1990 levels.
- The European Green Deal sets the blue for this transformational change. It underpins much of the EU legislative and regulatory agenda.